You Should Never Let Your Dog Go Near These Plants

ADVERTISEMENT

Having beautiful gardens with blooming flowers and gorgeous plants is one of the many great things about spring and summer. Many people strive to have some of the most colorful gardens with their favorite plants adorning each corner. However, if you have a puppy or a dog, you may want to take extra care they don’t get into your flower beds as some plants could be toxic and cause serious side effects if ingested.

Foxglove (Digitalis)

Foxglove is a highly poisonous plant and is also one of the most colorful, and very inviting. Many people like to have these in their gardens as they are a burst of high contrast color that can add to their garden. However, they are incredibly poisonous to cats, dogs, and even humans. Even the seeds on this one need to be avoided. If your pet eats any of this, then they may need to see a vet immediately. Some symptoms that your dog may have ingested Foxglove include drooling, vomiting, seizures, and abnormal heart rat. Be aware there may also be other symptoms.

Peonies (Paeonia)

These are a common shrub found in many people’s gardens. They can be pink, white, or red in color and are very pleasing to the eye. Sadly, if peonies are consumed in large quantities, then they can cause severe gastrointestinal upset to your dog, and you will need to consult a vet. If they have only ingested a small amount, then the side effects should be mild, although it’s always better to be safe than sorry. So, always get your pup checked.

Azalea (Rhododendron)

The Azalea is also incredibly dangerous to dogs, and it only takes a few leaves for it to be poisonous. Just a few will irritate your dog’s mouth to begin with, before more serious symptoms start to set in. This plant can cause abnormal heart rate, heart rhythms, pain, seizures, shallow breathing, and temporary blindness, to name a few. It is essential to keep any dog away from this plant because the results are devastating even from such a small amount.

Daffodil (Narcissus)

The Daffodil is another plant to keep your dog well away from. All parts of this plant are poisonous to dogs, and especially the bulbs. Make sure your dog isn’t inclined to go anywhere near the bulbs of these plants, as some dogs may like to dig. These are a favorite spring plant, as people like to plant them for the traditional easter look. However, if daffodils are ingested, then they may cause diarrhea, pain, convulsions, and a drop in blood pressure. If your dog suffers from any worrying symptoms, then it may be best to take them to the vets.

Mums (Chrysanthemum)

These are another household favorite that doesn’t go well with dogs, and there are several variations of them. Any plant from this family will be toxic for your pup and need to be kept well away. They may look pretty but don’t be deceived; they can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and incoordination.

There are a whole host of plants that you need to keep your dogs away from. Hopefully, they won’t be inclined to eat them, but it’s not worth the risk.

ADVERTISEMENT