Kid’s cravings are in most instances skewed toward unhealthy foods: junk food, ice cream, candy and so on. Most parents, being cognizant that the cravings will ultimately result in an unhealthy habit, resort to scolding their children.
However, taming your kid's cravings can be achieved in a friendly way. This is by introducing them to certain healthy snacks. Not only are these snacks healthy, they are delicious too.
1. Carrot-Apple Oat Muffins
To make these healthy and tasty muffins, you will need flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, brown sugar, apple, carrots, eggs, vanilla extract milk and vegetable oil.
Carrots are rich in vitamin A, while the oats are rich in dietary fiber. Apples are also rich in vitamins. Consider serving the muffins with a glass of milk, as it’s a good source of protein.
How to prepare them:
- Preheat the oven to about 180 degrees C/350 degrees F.
- Grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, baking powder and oats and whisk until finely combined.
- Add the grated carrot and apple, ensuring to stir until it is all coated in flour.
- Beat the eggs into a jug and add the vanilla extract, milk and vegetable oil.
- Add in the dry ingredients.
- Put the mixture in the muffin mix and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
2. Peaches and Cream Popsicles
This is an ideal snack if your kids have ice cream or chocolate cravings. The ingredients needed are milk, peaches, agave and white chocolate. The snack combines the vitamin benefits of milk and the heart-protective flavonols from the white chocolate.
Also, the white chocolate helps in the healthy growth of your kid’s skin, keeping it hydrated and bright. In addition, peaches are a source of antioxidants and vitamin C, which help build the connective tissue inside your kid’s body.
How to prepare them:
- Puree the peach in a blender until smooth.
- Add the milk and agave and blend to combine.
- Freeze the mixture for 4-6 hours into popsicle molds.
- Once solid, warm the chocolate in a microwave and dip the popsicle molds in the melted chocolate.
3. Chia Seed Pudding
Packed with heart-friendly omega-3 fatty acids and energy-boosting protein, chia seeds are an ideal solution to fight salt cravings. Your kid will enjoy health benefits from the chia seeds, milk, honey, granola and fresh fruit.
Use the granola and fresh fruit as toppings. To achieve a rather creamy consistency, use plant-based kinds of milk such as almond and coconut milk.
How to prepare it:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Cover the mixture and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Add the granola and fresh fruit toppings to serve.