Are you looking for new and healthy treats to liven up your snack time? Then why not try these protein bars with chocolate and sweet potato? These protein bars don’t just taste great, but they’re also free of grains and gluten.
If you’re a vegan, you can easily modify the recipe by eliminating the ingredients you’re not allowed to eat. These protein bars can be an excellent macro snack, part of your meal prep or even just a healthy treat to satisfy your sweet tooth.
It’s easy to prepare these protein bars, and you won’t need that much time to make them. They have a natural sweetness and appealing texture thanks to the sweet potato. If you want to try making these protein bars, here’s the recipe:
- 2/3 cup of the flesh from sweet potatoes (it’s best to use genuine sweet potatoes rather than the canned ones, as those don’t taste the same)
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 whole bar of chocolate (melted)
- 4 scoops of protein powder (you can choose which brand and flavor)
- 2/3 cup of brown rice flour (you may also use any type of gluten-free flour)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of cinnamon
- If needed, you may also use a sweetener such as honey, maple syrup, stevia or coconut sugar.
Follow these steps
- Preheat your oven to 350˚. Then take a small baking dish and spray it with coconut oil or any kind of non-stick cooking spray.
- In a big mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Mix until well blended, then pour the mixture into your oiled baking dish. Use a spatula to smooth the surface.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake the mixture for about 20 minutes. To check if it’s cooked thoroughly, insert a toothpick into the “cake” and see if it’s clean when you take it out again.
Try it for yourself!
It’s that easy! Three simple steps and you’re done with your delectable and healthy treat that tastes like dessert. After you’ve allowed the “cake” to cool, slice it into bars or square shapes.
Depending on the size, you can enjoy one or two slices for a sweet treat that’s rich in protein. Aside from being gluten-free, this recipe doesn’t come with additional fat either.
If you want to make this recipe vegan-friendly, it’s easy to do so. First of all, make use of a vegan-friendly chocolate bar in place of the regular chocolate bar. Then, you can also substitute the regular eggs with flax or chia eggs.
You can make the flax or chia eggs by combining six tablespoons of water with six tablespoons of either ground flax or chia. Then proceed with the rest of the recipe. The same thing goes for if you’re allergic to any of the ingredients listed above. The beauty of this recipe is that aside from being healthy and tasty, it’s also very versatile. Happy cooking!